by Mike C.

What is the correct term for the wood block used between the posts and the main girders in the basement of a typical bank barn?

This piece is usually 3-4' long with tapers cut on the bottom ends. I believe it is used to help reduce shear loads on the girders.

Comments for Terminology

Click here to add your own comments

Jun 07, 2013
by: Anonymous

By tapered block you must mean the 'cleat' that is attached. I'd like to know the term used for those as well.

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Ask the Barn Geek.

How to build the 20x30 sugar Shack for under $12k!  



Barn Decor